Marinated Potato Salad is a delicious alternative to traditional potato salad and is a recipe that dates back in my family for over 50 years. The key to making this recipe is planning ahead because it has to marinate for three days in the refrigerator.
My grandma’s recipe
My grandma used to make this Marinated Potato Salad recipe a lot during her lifetime for our large family get-togethers. No one in the family knows where the recipe originated; we know it was one of the many excellent dishes my grandma was known for making.
Marinated Potato Salad has to be made three days ahead and makes enough for a crowd. My grandma liked that it was made ahead, which meant less to worry about on the day of our family gatherings.
According to my grandma, this recipe is a lighter version of most potato salad recipes, because it uses cottage cheese. She was constantly getting requests to make it or share the recipe.
How to make Marinated Potato Salad
I personally am not a huge potato salad fan, but I love this recipe. Not only is it delicious, but also super simple to make. It uses potatoes, Hellmann’s Mayonnaise, cottage cheese, onion, salt, and pepper. So simple!
The first step is to boil five pounds of peeled potatoes until tender and then cut them into small pieces. While the potatoes are boiling, slice a small purple onion really thin. Then, layer the ingredients.
First, place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of a pretty serving bowl. Sprinkle with salt.
Next, spread 1/3 of the Hellmann’s mayonnaise, half of the cottage cheese, half of the onion, and then sprinkle with pepper.
Repeat the layers: potatoes, salt, Hellmann’s mayonnaise, cottage cheese, onion, and pepper. Then, add the rest of the potatoes, salt, and remaining mayonnaise to seal the top. Cover with saran wrap and foil, then put in the refrigerator for three days. When ready to serve, stir with a spoon. The potato salad will stay good for about another week.
The final dish
This Marinated Potato Salad recipe is so effortless, yet so delicious. Whoever you make this for will love it, and most likely ask you to share the recipe.
OTHER Make-Ahead Dishes for a Crowd
Marinated Potato Salad
- 5 pounds of peeled potatoes boiled and cut into small pieces
- Small purple onion sliced really thin
- 32 oz. jar of Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise
- Large carton of small curd cottage cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- First, place 1/3 of the boiled potatoes in the bottom of a pretty serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Spread 1/3 of the mayonnaise, half of the cottage cheese, half of the onion and pepper.
- Repeat the layers: potatoes, salt, mayonnaise, cottage cheese, onion and pepper.
- For the final layer, add the rest of the potatoes, salt and remaining mayonnaise to seal the top.
- Cover with saran wrap and foil and put in refrigerator for three days.
- When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator and stir with a spoon.
- The potato salad will stay good for about another week.
Leave a Reply